Clan BFaC's Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A beta!!

+2
Killer2c
darkwulfv
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A beta!! Empty A beta!!

Post by darkwulfv Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:19 pm

Warring Clans was an idea I started years ago, back when I hardly knew any JASS at all. The main idea has never changed; element-based heroes in a 3v3v3 map featuring the Orcs, Naga, and Undead. I wanted interactive and powerful spawns that actually fought you and casted spells, compared to shit boring old spawns of DotA and other AoS maps. Thus, Warring Clans was born.

Since, the 3 original heroes (Fire, Water, Lightning) have all undergone at least 3 full spell rewrites; the Fire hero being the most changed since his first draft was written and coded. I finally added the 4th hero, Nature, when I was pleased with the first 3. I got some models and skins to complement these heroes, and gave them some flair.

Well, after years of work (though only like 1/20 of that was true work, the rest was downtime or thought-process), I finally have a fully-playable beta version, featuring an actual hero selection system, full spawns, and working heroes!

Enjoy!
NOTE: There is a rather deadly bug I've yet to pinpoint, so just be forewarned that when quitting the map in any way (restart, exit game, quit mission, etc.) Wc3 is going to crash with a fatal.

Download it here:
HERE.

Feedback and all of that can either go into a new thread or right here.

Changelog:
Spoiler:

What's to come:
Spoiler:

Last edited by darkwulfv on Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:45 am; edited 7 times in total
darkwulfv
darkwulfv
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 813
Registration date : 2008-04-19

https://clanbfac.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

A beta!! Empty Re: A beta!!

Post by Killer2c Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:52 pm

Bugs I found(?):
-I didn't tried it for too much time , but Nature's ultimate-->No mana, no cooldown, and no tooltip when learned o.O
-Hero selection system isn't working? [I hover the (?) sign but i don't see the tooltip.]

==================================================================
I wanted interactive and powerful spawns that actually fought you and casted spells, compared to shit boring old spawns of DotA and other AoS maps
I agree, tested some AoS and in all of 'em I could see that creeps were same in both sides, nothing special about them, always wondered why no one made "unique" creeps for each sides.

Keep on the good work! Very Happy 

P.S: Didn't had much time to test it, cause its 1 am right now..

Zalgo!
Killer2c
Killer2c

Male
Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by sniperwolf777 Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:15 am

Might i add that i still coudln't respawn when the two of us played.
sniperwolf777
sniperwolf777
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Male
Number of posts : 491
Registration date : 2008-04-30

http://www.sniperswithoutfear.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by darkwulfv Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:55 am

Killer: I know about the Nature hero. I think I completely forgot to finish his ability (tooltip, mana cost, cooldown, tree dying). It'll get fixed asap.
The ? tooltips also are fixed. It was a problem with the optimizer which has been addressed.

Sniper: I've found a fix and it's been applied.
darkwulfv
darkwulfv
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fewmets Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:07 am

all i have to say is schweet. finally a real version Very Happy

Fewmets
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Female
Number of posts : 430
Registration date : 2008-07-22

http://www.trixstudios.tk

Back to top Go down

Post by darkwulfv Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:05 am

Updated with a new version. See changelog.
darkwulfv
darkwulfv
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:35 am

Is this open source as well?

This is has some problems:
1 - every time I exit or restart, I have a critical error ...
2 - I remember you saying spawns from CCFE were overpowered ... Jesus I won't even talk about spawns in this map....
3 - the heroes have no description so I never know what each hero does before picking it
4 - it doesn't matter which race I choose, I always get the same heroes (is this normal? I didn't get it...)
5 - in tauren's tree ultimate spell, the roots are created from the corners of the circle and not from the tree. Also the tree is invulnerable (it shouldn't imo)
6 - I disagree with some heroes ... tauren is mainly a healer summoner caster, and his main attribute is agility, when imo it should be str or intelegence because attack speed doesn't seem to combine with any of his tactics/spells

However the map also has stuff I really liked:
1 - every time a unit casts a spell the name appears (which system did you use to make that?)
2 - some spells are very nice, I would like to see some of the codes

My critics are mainly about game play and codes, I am a new at artwork (just check CCFE terrain ... Crying or Very sad ) so I believe everything else is fine (lol)

I can say it is a map with a long way ahead, but just like CCFE it has potential imo.
Keep up teh good work.

Back to top Go down

Post by Killer2c Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:13 am

Flame_Phoenix wrote:Is this open source as well?

darkwulfv wrote:
Enjoy!
NOTE: There is a rather deadly bug I've yet to pinpoint, so just be forewarned that when quitting the map in any way (restart, exit game, quit mission, etc.) Wc3 is going to crash with a fatal.

Last edited by Killer2c on Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:22 am; edited 2 times in total
Killer2c
Killer2c

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:49 am

I was expecting something more from my critics ... who is behind this map anyway, I though wulf was the only one ...

Back to top Go down

Post by sniperwolf777 Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:02 pm

:/ I cant download maps from anything but wc3. They just crash upon opening.
sniperwolf777
sniperwolf777
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by darkwulfv Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:07 pm

Phoenix: No, it's not open source. I don't open source anything. If you'd like to look at the code for a spell, I'd be happy to share.

I have a warning about this in the first post. I'm trying to fix it, but it happened suddenly and without me adding anything new that would scream "look at me!!". I basically have to break down my map entirely to find its source.

2 - I remember you saying spawns from CCFE were overpowered ... Jesus I won't even talk about spawns in this map....
The spawns are balanced to each other, not so much to the heroes. My goal was to make the spawns actually kill you, compared to other maps where they're just mindless fodder. Hence why they cast spells like Flame Strike. However, balance is a WIP, so it'll get better. I too have noticed that until later on (level 15+ usually) spawns are quite aggressive.

3 - the heroes have no description so I never know what each hero does before picking it
Did you read the intro message at all...? It says "Hover over the question marks to learn about the hero, then use your Soul of a Hero to choose it".

4 - it doesn't matter which race I choose, I always get the same heroes (is this normal? I didn't get it...)
There aren't enough heroes even created to split across 3 races, nor do I intend on doing this. I like all 9-18 being open to all 3 races. There's a storyline behind this that I haven't put anywhere yet that explains this.

5 - in tauren's tree ultimate spell, the roots are created from the
corners of the circle and not from the tree. Also the tree is
invulnerable (it shouldn't imo)
The roots are definitely supposed to come from the circle (there's no way that could be coded on accident), and I like it that way.
The tree is invulnerable because otherwise it would call aggro and make the spell basically useless. It only lasts 25 seconds at its max, and it's not a seriously powerful ultimate.

6 - I disagree with some heroes ... tauren is mainly a healer summoner
caster, and his main attribute is agility, when imo it should be str or
intelegence because attack speed doesn't seem to combine with any of
his tactics/spells
He's agility because when exactly was the last time you saw a Tauren whose main attribute was agility?

And it does fit into his tactic. Once you start getting his attribute bonus, which beefs up his intelligence and strength, he becomes a monster. His agility, even at level 30, doesn't make his attack speed that much more superior than anyone else's.

1 - every time a unit casts a spell the name appears (which system did you use to make that?)
Lol, not everything requires a system. I just made floating text injected right into the spell code. Making a system would be totally unnecessary. All the units do this too, since I need to use dummy caster for most of their spells (thus requring me to detect spells or attacks).

I was expecting something more from my critics ... who is behind this map anyway, I though wulf was the only one ...
Well I'm sorry to have dissapointed you, either by map or by the fatal error. It IS only an early beta, and your map had a lot of problems early on too. I thank you for your feedback though; it's helpful.
I'm the only one physically coding, terraining, and assembling this map. However, Mooo-Gunsniper has kindly found me art resources when asked, and months ago there was a "Design a Minor Hero" and "Design a Wave" contests, which many people participated in. I drew ideas from both of those for hero abilities and new spawns. Plus the ongoing support of my clan. I consider this their map as much as mine.
darkwulfv
darkwulfv
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mooo-Gunsniper Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:42 pm

Wewt, I'll try this version out later.
Mooo-Gunsniper
Mooo-Gunsniper
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 481
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by darkwulfv Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:09 pm

Added a "what's to come", so you know what to look for next version!
darkwulfv
darkwulfv
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mooo-Gunsniper Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:12 pm

Tried it, have no complaints, other than the fact that the tooltips don't show when you hover your mouse above the question marks at the hero selection area. Razz (That, AND the crash bug you all were talking about)

-Love the Tauren's Terra ability, w/e it's called. It looks pretty awesome when you cast it imo.
-I find myself constantly out of mana (mana pots only helped me last 1 more minute or so) Is that normal?
Mooo-Gunsniper
Mooo-Gunsniper
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 481
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by darkwulfv Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:16 pm

other than the fact that the tooltips don\'t show when you hover your mouse above the question marks
What? Grrr... I thought they worked... Stupid optimizer.
Phoenix I apologize for my comment earlier, I thought the tooltips did in fact work. I guess they don't.

-Love the Tauren\'s Terra ability, w/e it\'s called. It looks pretty awesome when you cast it imo.
It's definitely more of a "holy shit wtf is going on?!" ability, since it's not all that strong.

-I find myself constantly out of mana (mana pots only helped me last 1 more minute or so) Is that normal?
Carth naturally has low intelligence, so he will run out of mana quick. However, I am still in the process of balancing spell mana cost and cooldowns for optimized play. I've never done an AoS before, so I'm still new to the formula. It'll come with time.
darkwulfv
darkwulfv
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:32 pm

If you'd like to look at the code for a spell, I'd be happy to share.
Well then, can you share your map with me please? I give credits IF I use anything Razz

Phoenix I apologize for my comment earlier, I thought the tooltips did in fact work. I guess they don't.
Np. You better get used to it, some of my comments will be silly, others won't. I prefer to make a silly comment and make sure I did a report than fearing humiliation and make no comment at all.I am happy that this time my comment wasn't silly xD

The roots are definitely supposed to come from the circle
In the description you say the "come out of the tree" if I am not mistaken.

He's agility because when exactly was the last time you saw a Tauren whose main attribute was agility?
Never saw that neither I think it is a good idea. If you want your Tauren to have agility as main skill then imo you should give him abilities that fit his attribute for a special strategy.
My main point here is - his main attribute should be a combo for his spells, this way the hero would be a lot stronger.
Anyway, this is more of a personal opinion from me, this is the way I make heroes so I am just sharing my thoughts.

Well I'm sorry to have disappointed you, either by map or by the fatal error.
I said that because I only got 1 reply to my comment and its main message was "ENJOY THE ERROR!" lol...

It IS only an early beta, and your map had a lot of problems early on too.I thank you for your feedback though; it's helpful.
My map still has many problems. I may sound hard on my critics, but the reason I do it is because I would like to also have someone critising my map like I do. Good critics are hard to find, and it is natural that CCFE will never get as much attention as this project or other projects from the clan.
I wish I would have more comments, but it simply doesn't happen. At least I have Myre to help xD

Lol, not everything requires a system.
Damn, you got me with that one, I was almost sure you were using Griffen Spell system xD

Back to top Go down

Post by darkwulfv Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:25 am

"come out of the tree"
Meh... It's not a big deal, is it?

I said that because I only got 1 reply to my comment and its main message was "ENJOY THE ERROR!" lol...
Killer was quoting me (w/o the quote tags). If you look at my post it does say that.
darkwulfv
darkwulfv
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Killer2c Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:27 am

just quoted it xD
Killer2c
Killer2c

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by darkwulfv Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:02 am

So, the good news is I've tracked down the source of the fatal error. The bad news is it's a system needed for the knockback system. Good news: I know who to ask to have it fixed. Bad news: It may not happen for a bit.

Essentially, all this means is Carth's ultimate doesn't knockback for now. No big deal.

We shall see!!
darkwulfv
darkwulfv
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:54 pm

So ... Dusks's Knockback system is giving you problems ?
... I told you so ...

Back to top Go down

Post by darkwulfv Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:34 pm

Wrong. His knockback system works spectacularly. It's a library that it requires that is incompatible with the latest Jasshelper. Not Dusk's fault, as it worked fine beforehand.
darkwulfv
darkwulfv
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by sniperwolf777 Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:01 pm

Osnap, You just got told.
sniperwolf777
sniperwolf777
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:22 pm

MM quite weird, I remember having a remake of Dusk's system in my Launch Seal spell, (in submission for wc3c). His system seems to bug like hell there ...

Back to top Go down

Post by Myre Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:53 pm

Dark I don't have the knockback crash issue in my map. Are you sure that's what is causing it?
Myre
Myre

Male
Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2008-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post by darkwulfv Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:59 pm

Yes, I've tested many times. Once again, it's not the knockback system, it's a sub-library that the system requires.

Myre, I don't think you're using the latest JASShelper anyways, so this bug would not arise for you.
darkwulfv
darkwulfv
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content